They’ll analyse if you should be approached or avoided, are you friend or foe, are you competent, likable and trustworthy – all in just seven seconds!
If you looked at my photo for seven seconds, what first impression did you make??
I can’t influence your first impression through a photo, but before meeting someone in person, there are a few minor adjustments you can make to bring out your best:
- adjust your attitude to ensure it is pleasant
- straighten your posture and own your space
- allow your eyes to show interest
- practice your handshake
- build rapport (mirroring body language is great for this); and
- SMILE, it’s hard to resist someone with a smile on their face!
So do first impressions count? Only to your niche or target market – of course you want them to WANT to do business with you and making a great first impression will assist this goal, but I believe that if you’ve chosen your target market based on the real you and what your business is about, you will always attract the right people!