While I understand my own situation 100% and know my obligations in regards to declaring my income, others may not.
If you are earning income from your blog, you need to determine if your blog (AKA income earning activity) is considered a business or a hobby by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), and unfortunately there’s no easy answer to this!
Each case must be determined based on the individual facts, but some of the things you need to consider are:
- does the income earning activity have a commercial purpose or character?
- are you aiming for a profit and working for one?
- is there repetition and regularity?
- is the activity carried on in the same manner as other businesses in the industry?
- are your activities planned, organised and carried on in a business like manner?
- what is the size scale and permanency?
- does it feel like a hobby?