Everyone should have goals…personal goals, business goals, performance goals or financial goals – a goal is a goal no matter what the desired result relates to.
Have you heard the concept S.M.A.R.T in relation to goal setting? Being S.M.A.R.T about your goals will help you stay focussed and assist in achieve them:
- Specific – be as specific as you can, start by answering the “Who, What, Where, When and Why” in relation to your goal
- Measurable – establish how you will determine your goal has been achieved, quantify or suggest an indicator of progress such as “how much or how many?”
- Attainable – goals should be attainable, but remember that sometimes we need to take smaller steps to achieve them – as you reach your “mini goals” you will likely find yourself developing confidence and your “big goals” will move closer
- Realistic – you must be willing and able to work towards your goals, this requires effort…and only you can control how much effort you are prepared to expend…
- Timely – deciding on a timeframe assists in maintaining motivation and provides a sense of urgency to keep you accountable
The end of the year is a fantastic time to set goals for the coming year…I’m not talking “New Years Resolutions”…I’m talking genuine goals – have a think and let me know how you go!